International Coatings 900 Series Catalyst
International Coatings 900 Series Catalyst sould be added to the 900 series inks to promote better adhesion to nylon.
The 900 Catalyst comes in 2 oz. and 8 oz. containers and should be hand stirred into the ink to the following proportions:
- By volume = 16 parts ink to 1 part catalyst
- By weight = 20 parts ink to 1 part catalyst
- 1 oz. Catalyst to 1 pint of ink
- 2 oz. Catalyst to 1 quart of ink
- 8 oz. Catalyst to 1 gallon of ink
Ink may be used immediately after mixing. Do not mix more ink than is needed for a job. Do not under catalyze the ink. Pot life of ink mixesd with catalyst is 4 to 8 hours. Over catalyzation will shorten pot life of ink. The catalyst creates a chemical bond to adhere the ink to the nylon fibers.
Alternative uses for 900 catalyst:
- A catalyst can be added to flock adhesive to promote better adhesion of the flocking fibers.
- A catalyst combined with (black) ink (for black fabrics, for example), reduces the appearance of fibrillation, especially after the garment has been washed.
- Adding catalyst can improve adhesion on most other fabrics, not just nylon.
- A catalyst can also improve adhesion to leather or vinyl substrates, but it is crucial to test that the substrate can withstand the 320 degree F cure temperatures required to cure the ink.
Just remember that once a catalyst is mixed in with the ink, the ink has a pot life of about four to eight hours, so be sure to only mix enough ink to use for the job.